Success in life and career is connected to the number of conversations outside your comfort zone.
Mario Andretti said, “If everything seems out of control, you’re not going fast enough.” That’s all about being uncomfortable and pushing yourself.
Think of how business might change by facing these potentially less than comfortable situations.
- A client not keeping their end of the deal.
- Admitting you made a mistake to key customer.
- Addressing poor behavior or performance.
- Asking for the close.
- Asking for the raise.
- Admitting to a prospect the deal is probably not a good fit.
- Telling a rival they had the right approach after all.
- Your kid played a bad game. Don’t tell them they did.
- The same kid gave a great effort and lost. Recognize the value of an excellent effort.
These moments may skew to the negative. However, many of us are just as hesitant to recognize the positive or lend the compliment.
What is something positive that came out of your most recent uncomfortable conversation?